Bonsai tree: juniper, ezo spruce

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Bonsai tree: juniper, ezo spruce

hollow
The hollowed out trunk caught my eye. I have seen very few trunks that have been so completely hollowed. It looks like it might be a Ezo spruce though I could be mistaken. If it is an Ezo, it must be quite old to attain such size as Ezos are very slow growing. I like the first branch, it almost serves as a second trunk and is not a bad little bonsai in itself. Overall, I think that this is a excellent tree with great balance, and would be noteworthy even without the distinctive hollow trunk.
cascade
Here is another tree from the same gallery that caught my eye. Though it’s a juniper, the reddish bark and the deadwood remind me of the Manzanitas in California’s Sierra Nevada mountains.

0 comments:

Post a Comment