Bonsai tree: Kiyomizu-dera

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Bonsai tree: Kiyomizu-dera


Source: Bonsai Tonight
Kiyomizu-dera

I caught as many gardens as I could during the daylight hours on my first day in Kyoto. Eager to see more, I found a temple that was open at night – the Kiyomizu-dera. Kiyomizu means clear or pure water. The Kiyomizu-dera temple takes its name from Otowa waterfall. The water has been channeled into three streams from which visitors can drink to gain the water’s wish-granting powers. (It’s too early for me to comment on its efficacy.) The temple dates from 778 and the current building, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, from 1633. No nails were used in the construction of the building (details compliments Wikipedia).

The temple is also home to the garden of Jojuin, “The Garden of the Moon.” Many visitors walk right past it. If you get the chance, I recommend waiting in line for the chance to see it. No photos were allowed when I visited, but you can catch a tiny glimpse of the garden on the Kiyomizu-dera website.

Kiyomizu-dera entrance

The crowds at the temple entrance reminded me of Disneyland at night.

Kiyomizu-dera Temple

Kiyomizu-dera Temple

Pagoda near Kiyomizu-dera

Pagoda near the temple

Kyoto from Kiyomizu-dera

View of Kyoto from Temple porch

Forest behind Kiyomizu-dera temple

Cool/creepy forest behind the temple

Forest behind Kiyomizu-dera temple

Glowing forest

Udon

Awesome udon – or maybe I was really cold and the noodle soup was just the thing. I can still taste it!

Maples that haven't turned color yet

Maples lower down on the mountain had yet to change color

The street below Kiyomizu-dera is lined with shops

The street below the temple were lined with shops vending food and souvenirs. Oh how I miss Kyoto’s supple mochi!

Tomorrow: Temple week day 6 – Arashiyama

0 comments:

Post a Comment