Bonsai tree: Bonsai stamps

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Bonsai tree: Bonsai stamps


Source: Bonsai Tonight

Bonsai stamps


The USPS unveiled a new series of bonsai stamps last month. The artist, John D. Dawson of Hawaii, came out to Sacramento’s McKinley Park for the “first day issue” rollout. Had I known, I might have attended.


I first heard about the project 18 months ago when the USPS wanted to license the image of one of my trees. The artist had used a photo of my black pine from Bay Island Bonsai’s 2003 exhibit as a reference for the stamp. Upon seeing the design, I was immediately struck by the likeness.


Black pine - based on my tree!


Black pine stamp – January 2012


Black pine


Black pine – January 2003


The USPS included a bit of a bonsai primer in their announcement of the series, and followed up with a nice piece about how the project took shape.  The other stamps in the series feature a banyan, a trident maple, a Sierra juniper, and an azalea – a colorful mix!


Banyan


Banyan


Trident maple


Trident maple


Sierra juniper


Sierra juniper


Azalea


Azalea


This is the most fun I’ve had since my hinoki was featured in a cosmetics catalog.


Hinoki


Hinoki – “The Giving Tree”



0 comments:

Post a Comment