Bonsai tree: Shopping for bonsai at Green Club

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Bonsai tree: Shopping for bonsai at Green Club


Source: Bonsai Tonight
Shopping for bonsai at Green Club

There’s a big difference between shopping for bonsai at Green Club and buying bonsai at Green Club. I’m happy shopping – the quality is often outstanding – but it doesn’t stop me from imagining I’m in the market for trees like this. Maybe I’m looking for a large pine with great bark – show ready right off the shelf.

Pine

Large pine bonsai

I imagine the tree isn’t cheap, and keep looking. Maybe a pine with an unusual characteristic – something that sets it apart from other pines in the room – catches my attention. I give it a closer look.

Pine

Pine with unusual first branch

But before I can fully appreciate the age of the tree or the fun I could have trying to bring balance to such an intriguing trunk line, a rugged white pine calls to me. Good age, but less refined – a great project tree.

White pine

Rugged pine

95 man – almost 1 million yen, or  roughly $12,000. Not bad. But what’s this? Nice silhouette and spectacular roots for a white pine – this tree could really keep my interest.

White pine

White pine – neat roots

Wiring might be a chore (see Peter Tea’s Simple does not mean easy). The foliage is on the yellow side, but what roots! Scanning the room I notice a wonderfully green white pine. It’s a very pretty tree.

White pine

Stately white pine

So many upright trees – a cascade might be nice. Here’s a nice one, and a reasonable size too.

White pine

Cascade white pine

What’s this – a bargain? It appears the twin trunk white pine is offered for a mere $1,500. Why not?

White pine

Twin trunk white pine

If only the pine below were offered at that price. Wow!

Pine

A pine above the other trees

I see a tree that has been carefully detailed. The wiring makes me look more closely to see if the tree’s owner is trying to distract me with detail work. I’ll have to look closely at this one.

White pine

White pine and plenty of wire

So many pines to choose from. Maybe tosho’s the thing. I have no experience with the variety and am curious if the needles hurt as much as folks say. This one sure looks nice.

Needle juniper

Well-manicured needle juniper

I haven’t seen many needle junipers with more of a bunjin feeling – I could be the first on my block to own one.

Needle juniper

Tall needle juniper

I feel like I’ve been neglecting the deciduous trees. I would really appreciate a nice Japanese maple. With great roots. And branches. And anything else I could think of. Time to brush up on my bargaining skills.

Maple

Multi-trunk Japanese maple

A smaller maple might be easier to carry to workshops – and such a shallow pot!

Maple

Japanese maple – nice pot

Of course, I’m a sucker for blossoms, and choujubai quince and ume have long been favorites of mine.

Choujubai quince and ume

Choujubai quince and ume

I still remember the first choujubai bonsai I saw in Japan. I had glazed over the few photos I’d seen in books, but when I stood next to the small trees, glowing orange flowers and all, I instantly fell for them. They’ve been a favorite ever since.

Choujubai quince

Choujubai – roughly $5,000

Choujubai respond best to time – maybe there’s not as much I can do to work with tree along the way. A deciduous project could be fun, especially when the project is well under way.

Deciduous tree

A very good start

Shopping for trees like these isn’t much different from attending any great exhibit – the main difference is the visible price tag. What fun. This is the last of the photos Boon Manakitivipart took on his trip to Japan this past February. I’ve really enjoyed sharing them – I hope you did too!

Ezo spruce

Ezo spruce

0 comments:

Post a Comment